Thread: Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The SPECT and other images before and after a series of HBOT show increases in blood flow, likely from increased capillary growth/regeneration. I am very interested in seeing a study that tests with neuro-psych assessments before and after to show if there is a cognitive improvement.

From what I have found, those studies with the SPECT images are also the promoters of HBOT. A good double blind study is called for, especially if it is done by a neutral party and includes a neuro-psych assessment.

I am not knocking HBOT. I have been interested in its usefulness for PCS for a long time. I just have not found much definitive information to support its use for PCS.

The studies of severe TBI subjects showed a decrease in mortality but did not show an improvement in long term recovery levels.

Football,

You have misunderstood the blast injury study. You said <There is also a study on going in the military about people getting exploding ied's (bombs) by their head and having severe traumatic head injuries and having disorders like depression for a year resolve with 40 hbot treatments.>

The blast injuries were not by their heads. They were just in the vicinity of the IED when it exploded. The blast pressure wave can impact brains quite a distance away. 30 to 50 feet away and more is not uncommon and still suffer a blast concussion.

My daughter was subjected to a blast concussion and was quite a distance away. The Army policy is for the vehicles to be separated so that an IED will not impact two vehicles at the same time. The distance is something like 50 feet from the pictures I have seen. This distance does not do much to mitigate the blast pressure to the brain. The soldier is often uninjured from the blast except for the blast concussion.

Many soldiers die from the blast concussion without being hit by any shrapnel. The blast pressure can disrupt cell walls throughout the body without ever doing any noticeable injury.

Blast Concussion Syndrome can even be caused by being near a Abrams tank or Paladin artillery gun when it fires a projectile. The muzzle blast has dangerous pressure waves to quite a distance.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote