View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 02:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Unfortunately, Echoes is correct. I used to work in Employee Benefits and this was always an issue that employees/dependents were not aware of.

Here is just something I found in an article that may help explain it better than I can:

Lately the question of whether a long-term disability carrier can offset Social Security payments to a dependent has been a popular one. Most claimant's are aware that their LTD plans offset Social Security benefits awarded to the disabled individual, but most plans also offset the SSD benefits paid to the dependents or spouse of the disabled individual as well, if those benefits result from the individual's disability. As always it is important to read your plan documents carefully. The only time an LTD carrier can offset the Social Security benefit paid to a spouse or dependent is when that payment derives directly from the claimant's status as a disabled person.

Based on the numbers you posted, your LTD carrier will receive your SSD payment AND the dependent portion then they will continue to pay your monthly benefit. Bottom line, you will continue to receive your LTD payment of $2,916. If the LTD benefit were not in place, you would only receive the SSD payment of $1,444 plus the dependent portion (which I believe is 1/2 of your benefit) of $722 for a total of $2,166.

Hopefully, your policy doesn't have this verbiage in it but I would rather give you the heads up of what is in 90% of the LTD policies out there so you know ahead of time.
hugg724 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote