View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Getting any benefit from potassium OTC supplements is like spitting in the ocean. We are supposed to get 4.5 grams a day from our food intake. Some foods are higher than others.
Cantaloupe has 1400mg or so in 1/2 melon.
A V8 has about 600mg.

An RX potassium supplement varies from 600mg to 800mg.
So 99mg tablet is nothing OTC. FDA limits higher numbers for OTC tablets. You'd have to take 6-8 tablets OTC to equal one V8 ( the low sodium one has more potassium than the regular).

www.nutritiondata.com gives mineral values for just about every food there is. When consulting this source watch the serving size...since some are unrealistic or misleading. Check what you typically eat and see how much of magnesium and potassium you typically consume.

But for magnesium 3 oz of unsalted almonds can give 270mg.

I don't think really high magnesium is needed. We are designed to eat a certain amount daily, and flooding your body with this is not natural. High magnesium intakes in people with impaired renal functions can lead to a build up in the body.

I have seen profound changes in people just taking 2 SlowMags a day! The RDA is about 400mg for an adult, elemental daily.

You can soak in magnesium...by making baths of epsom salts.
This lets some magnesium into the body where circulation may be impaired and so if mag has trouble getting to the toes and fingers.
Use lukewarm water, and about 4-6oz in a bathtub. When tiny blood vessels get clamped down, what you consume orally may not reach feet and hands. Once those vessels open up, nutrients can flow much better. (and toxins can be removed more efficiently). Magnesium baths are very relaxing to the muscles and can reduce pain too.

Remember when reading labels of magnesium products...some do not list contents in ELEMENTAL values. Some do. So a high dose of magnesium malate 1000mg, is really 150mg of magnesium elemental!

So if your cramping is confined to the feet do some soaks with epsom salts to get you relaxed and the blood flowing properly, then the oral can work better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Granted, I skimmed through this thread rather quickly, but I didn't see anything regarding dosages for magnesium.

mrsD, can you provide a dosage range for magnesium? I've been taking as low as 600 mg and as high as 2200 mg per day, and I am still trying to find in the lowest dosage that will help with foot cramps.

Also, with spinach and broccoli as major components of my diet, I have limited myself to the 600 mg of calcium in my multiple vitamin. I don't eat dairy of any kind. Think I'm okay with 600 mg calcium?

Lastly, I'm unsure of the proper dosage for potassium. My multi vitamin has 99 mg. That seemed low, so yesterday I added in 300 mg on top of that. Almost immediately after taking the extra 300 mg. of potassium, I began to feel increased tingling in both big toes. Hmm.

Thanks.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sarge (10-10-2015)