View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 10:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

primarily as a mood stabilizer for bipolar II (or cyclothymia, my psychiatrist and I are still arm-wrestling about the precise diagnosis). I was on Lamictil which made me much happier because it treated the pain of my fibromyalgia. At least, I THOUGHT it was fibromyalgia until my primary care doctor picked up that I had nasty abdominal pain and hand and foot neuropathy last month - and she said, AT YOUR AGE (grrrrrr) it could be celiac disease. So, not waiting for the blood test results because I was desperate, I put myself on a gf/df diet about 2 hours later and it was a Moses-type miracle - no kidding! But I realized that I didn't have the abdominal pain or neuropathy until I had started the topamax. My blood work came back negative for celiac but i absolutely hate to switch meds yet again for my bipolar. I've been on anti-depressants for 15 years trying to get the right balance, and i think i've finally found the right mix that makes me function well enough to work full-time. With the diet, I have lots of energy. But i'm a little scared of the topamax now, and I don't want to kick any nasty celiac disease stuff into overdrive. there's definitely IBS and stuff like that in the family.
mollymcn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote