View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Should I follow up?

Thanks for reading--I am new here and have been looking on the internet all afternoon for answers. My dh and I were in a serious car accident 3/31. He was in intensive care for a week. The other car "t-boned" us and hit him directly. I was driving and I don't remember a single bit of it--no crash, no sirens, no ambulance, nothing. We were taken in separate ambulances to the nearest trauma center and I don't remember the ride. My clothes were cut off me, but I don't remember that either. Anyway, I was sent home from the ER a few hours after we were brought in. No one has ever spoken to me about the concussion--I just know that I have absolutely no recollection of the accident and woke up in the CT scanner at the hospital. Once home, I spent several days throwing up and on pain killers, unable to walk or keep my balance--but that is all I can remember about those days.

Now, over three months later, I am totally fine for the most part but behaving a little oddly. I seem to be in some kind of haze--I constantly feel like I just woke up and can't clear my head. I have had a slight headache that sometimes grows into a painful one, and i get dizzy at times and have persistent tinnitus--but I have had problems with dizziness in the past, before the accident. The most bizarre episode was at Starbucks--I nearly bit the server's head off when she couldn't understand my order. Not like me!! I have successfully raised five kids and have four grandkids--I have learned patience! And the most debilitating things are my lack of motivation and the presence of fatigue.

From what I read this afternoon, I may have postconcussion syndrome. One more thing--the CT scan revealed a pocket of fluid near my right ear (the side where I had a black bruise on my head after the accident) but I was so focused on helping my dh get back on his feet that I never saw a doctor--so does this mean I can wait and get better or that I need to see someone? It's been three months since the accident, so I don't see how a doctor could help.
Birdmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote