View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 02:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Representing healthy sceptics: Medical Science research in the past has been inherently flawed, not robust, or vigorous and plagued by Massive Egos, has been shallow and narrow and has led to the prescription of vast amounts of unnecessary, expensive and dangerous drugs and has been easily manipulated by Big Pharm to research this and not that to prescribe this and not that. Most worringly, as a previous thread about MS proves, many neuros and medicos are unable to see the flaws in current treatments based on faulty diagnosis. They live in silos and will not consider they may be wrong.

Apart from that everything is fine, except I dont believe them about well.... lots of things, and I think thats reasonable based on the vast amount of info the internet has made available.

Jak

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsen View Post
Vol. 67 No. 7, July 2010

http://archneur.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ct/67/7/798?ct

Neurological Review

When Does Parkinson Disease Start?
Rodolfo Savica, MD, MSc; Walter A. Rocca, MD, MPH; J. Eric Ahlskog, PhD, MD

Arch Neurol. 2010;67(7):798-801. doi:10.1001/archneurol.2010.135

...evidence that the Parkinson disease neurodegenerative process begins many years before the onset of motor manifestations. Initial estimates based on nigral neuropathological findings or striatal dopamine imaging suggested a 5- to 6-year preclinical period. However, more recent evidence of Lewy body pathology in other neuronal [structures]...suggests that the preclinical phase may be much longer... manifestations, such as constipation, anxiety disorders, rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder (RBD), and anemia, suggest that the preclinical period extends at least 20 years before the motor manifestations. Olfactory impairment and depression may also precede the onset of motor manifestations; however, the lag time may be shorter. Recognition of a nonmotor preclinical phase spanning 20 or more years should guide the search for predictive biomarkers and the identification of risk or protective factors for Parkinson disease.
They call you heartless: but your heart is true, and I love the bashfulness of your goodwill. Ye are ashamed of your flow, and others are ashamed of their ebb. Ye are ugly? Well then, my brethren, take the sublime about you, the mantle of the ugly! - Thus spake Zarathustra.
alongcamejones is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote