Thread: more on thyroid
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 03:38 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I am convinced that during my recent stress meltdown that I was slipping from a sub-clinical state to an active hyperthyroid one. The following symptoms are fromthe Mayo clinic site with my comments-

Symptoms:
Hyperthyroidism can mimic other health problems, which may make it difficult for your doctor to diagnose. It can also cause a wide variety of signs and symptoms, including:

* Sudden weight loss, even when your appetite and diet remain normal or even increase
* Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia) — commonly more than 100 beats a minute — irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) or pounding of your heart (palpitations) My pulse approached 100 during the period from its usual 75 or so.
* Increased appetite
* Nervousness, anxiety and irritability I had a minor panic attack during this time.
* Tremor — usually a fine trembling in your hands and fingers Worsened.
* Sweating Several instances.
* Changes in menstrual patterns
* Increased sensitivity to heat Worsened.
* Changes in bowel patterns, especially more frequent bowel movements Yes. Almost daily from every two weeks.
* An enlarged thyroid gland (goiter), which may appear as a swelling at the base of your neck
* Fatigue, muscle weakness Had extreme bouts which continue.
* Difficulty sleeping Yes but sporadic.

Older adults are more likely to have either no signs or symptoms or subtle ones, such as an increased heart rate, heat intolerance and a tendency to become tired during ordinary activities. Medications called beta blockers, which are used to treat high blood pressure and other conditions, can mask many of the signs of hyperthyroidism. The same might be true of PWP.
In addition I noted signs of increased metabolism – hot flashes and slightly elevated body temperature. Several times face flushed enough that my wife noticed it. Most worrisome were spikes in blood pressure as high as 200/120.

I am becoming more and more convinced that there is something important here. Thyroid problems are slippery little devils at best.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote