Thread: more on thyroid
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My experience very much the same, but with a twist

I can pretty much say a resounding "yes" to all that Rick highlighted but want to add that I am now at subclinical hypothyroid level though levodopa lowers the number, so I look normal on paper. The weird thing is...I too am experiencing the symptoms of thyrotoxicosis at the same time! Apparently, according to thyroid disease experts; the patients of course, it is very possible for one to experience too much TSH even if we do have an over all deficit- the point is dysregulation.

Let me just say too much thyroid hormone is like too much dopamine...not a good thing and scarier because it hooks in and grabs hold using your limbic system against you. You end up with panic attacks, hyper-sympathetic nervous system sensations and experiences, but it sucker punches you. It lured me in by at first putting me into an extremely relaxed state; you feel that you might just drift off for a peaceful nap dreaming of warm sand in your toes and cute cabana boys...then all of a sudden you have this overwhelming urge to pee and realize that when you go to stand up, you feel like a jellyfish and cannot even walk, let alone run to the bathroom. This could last 3 hours and levodopa wouldn't do anything. Worse, I have had events like this in mini-form cycle half a day. Needless to say it is exhausting to recover, probably is having a permanent negative effect on my PD, and is sucking away my life - either you are trying to abort an "episode", recovering from one, or trying to figure out what is going on along with the everyday things you need to do in life. Bet they would never show Ann Hathaway scooting around on her bony little tookus trying to get her kid's diaper changed (She is in the YOPD movie slated for release this fall).

More on some interesting research I stumbled upon in another box or two...I just wanted to throw out there that with these thyroid centered episodes:

-Vitamin D brought me back from the brink every time.

-Selenium is vital in thyroid harmony. Not sure of levels yet, but apparently there is a need for supplementation in hypothyroidism.

-Rick is one righteous dude.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote