View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprinz99 View Post
I have used Taclonex for years (it is not new, just one of the newest and comes in ointment, cream, etc versions). I find it works well but is greasy feeling. I have a rather large selection of a variety of ointents, shampoos, foams and creams from my Dermatologist (most, but not all are Rx) and many come in a generic form.

I also have a medicated occlusive tape (Cordran tape) that works extremely well. It leaves pink/red skin but no scales. If I use it on a new lesion it seems to knock it away for good. It is a perscription item.

The key to psoriasis treatment is that most products (Rx or OTC) stop working after a bit and you have to keep switching medications to keep it in check. Winter vs. Summer also causes differences in how active it looks as it responds to sunlight.

The injectibile and oral medications work by trying to dampen the inflammatory response (ie. T cells, B cells, etc) and many find they work extremely well or put them in remission for months at a time. Regular physician monitoring is essential. They are generally reserved for severe and/or resistant cases.

Some people get good results from moisturizing lotions/oils/creams and others must go the Rx route. I wish you luck finding a solution but realize they have no "cure" for psoriais yet, only treatment options.

BTW_ he should be seeing a dermatologist if he is not already under their care (not a primary care physician) as they are much more experienced in this organ (the skin is an organ system of the body)

Good Luck!
The last time my husband went to see a dermatologist, she was covered in thousands of cherry angiomas. Never saw such a thing on anyone in all my life. My husband turned to me as we were leaving her office and he said

"And you want me to listen to what SHE has to say?" "She can't even get rid of her Cherry marks".

lol

I never forgot that. We looked up cherry marks and got all the info. Alan has a few of them. They have become less apparent as he got older.

But he won't go to a dermatologist any more. Especially as there is no cure for psoriasis, just treatment, as you mentioned. He is however, using the cream (clobetazole), and if I leave a little jar of coco butter, he'll put that behind his ears.

So he is doing SOMETHING, (even if it's a little).

lol
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote