View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Morphine pumps have given me back my life

Sorry I'm so tardy in getting back to your very important question:

I'm now on my 2nd morphine pump and I'll tell you, they literally gave me back my life - ironically I didn't know it till after my battery died on my first one after 5 1/2 years of service. Because of additional pending surgeries, I had to wait 4 months before my second pump was installed, and wow was that the longest 4 months of my life.

As far as it working, there's only one way to find out. Let the doctor order the overnight stay in the hospital so they can run the test and see if it will work. You're going to know right then on the spot if this will work. When I had my test, I was bawling in tears it felt so good to have the pain ease up that much. Four hours later the pain returned and I'll tell you I was crushed.

Morphine pumps are no silver bullet. They don't get rid of all the pain, but they do moderate it so you don't have the horrible increased levels you're experiencing now.

As far as getting them paid for, they don't come cheap. My first one cost $20,000 and my second one was $30,000. Refills are over $1,500 a pop, but as long as the documentation is in place I know that most insurance will pay for it including Medicare. While there are some who claim they're no big deal as far as size and location, I'm not in agreement here. After creating the pocket inside my stomach for it to fit in, I had the second one slide down directly on the belt line so it can be annoying that's for sure - but the benefits outweigh the good, at least for me hence I'm thankful each and every day for this amazing piece of technology that's flowing through my body. All the best and I hope you can finally get some solid relief so you can regain some quality in daily life, Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired in Texas View Post
Hi! I am 30 and have been in pain for 11 years now. Long story short, I have tried a regular pump implant which didn't help enough to continue but it is still in my body because it is such a big surgery to pull out.
As of now, one Doc wants to do a Spinal cord stim in my neck but I have had mutliple brain/neck surgeries and I and even the Doc doesn't think it has a a great shot of getting into the epidural space and working! He still wants to do it before I try a cervical pump. Insurance of course will not cover any of this! Then, I have two other Docs who say to skip SCS and do cervical pump. One wants to do a trial and one wants to go ahead and implant it. Neither has done more than four because it just isn't done anymore. That's how scary it is!
Has anyone had this? Advice? Know of any Doctors who have done more than four in US? Need help
bobinjeffmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (07-30-2010), Rrae (07-19-2010)