View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 05:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sarah Mae - has any of your doctors allowed you to try the Duragesic Patch? I read your story on your site and you have had a lifetime of pain and you need help. If you have not used this med I urge you to try it. It is a narcotic - a strong narcotic but if you have true chronic pain then a narcotic is what you need. I know, your thinking, I will become addicted. Well, I've been using this med since 1-9-02 and I am not addicted but my 7 to 9+ pain has been reduced to a 2 to 4 and I'm doing great. These patches do not work for everyone but nothing does.

If your doc won't let you try this then I urge to to find a doc that will. Most doctors want nothing to do with patients who complain of pain but more and more of them are coming to realize that pain is a legitimate medical condition deserving the best the profession has to offer. They are still in the minority...but they are out there...and I am talking about legitimate physicians who truly care for their patients.

Just find a doctor that will work with you. Start low on the strength of the patches - perhaps the 50 strength patch and if that doesen't make a significant difference then titrate to the 75 strength, etc. I didn't get relief until we tried the 100 strength and that was on 11-18-02 and this strength help so much I could hardly believe it! I stayed at this level until 3-19-07 and we then upped it to 125 strength (1 100 strength patch and 1 25 strength patch) and I have stayed at that strength thru this writing. By the way, you change these patches every 72 hours! Sure beats taking pills all day and night long.

Sarah Mae, this medication has been a God send for me. To this day I still don't understand how I survived those first 14 years of horrific PN pain but I guess you understand about that. I've had this Peripheral Neuropathy and it's pain now for 22 years but since starting the Duragesic Patch in Jan 02 I have led a relatively normal life. My hands are steady, my eyes are clear, and I have full control of all my faculties. I drive my car without incident and my wife and I have been all over the US plus a couple of cruises over the last 8 years. I walk 1 to 2 miles every day with nothing but my cane and dog and I really enjoy that. I am now 78 years old and I am so thankful for the relief I have experienced with this med. Oh yeah, I buy the generic form of the Duragesic Patch and that's called: Fentanyl Transdermal System and it's cheaper than the brand name. I am retired from the Air Force and have good insurance that pays most of it. The generic costs about $550 monthly so good insurance is almost a necessity.

My email address is (removed by author) and your are welcomed to write to me if you like. Good luck, young lady, and I wish the very best for you.

Dan Pearce
From the flatlands of West Tennessee

Last edited by DanP; 07-19-2010 at 10:36 PM.
DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote