View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 12:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, I tried but you seem to put up too many walls. First is your doctor - "but I got the Tylenol with Codeine #4 from my family doctor. He doesn't want to move me up to Oxycodone because it is so highly addictive". This is the kind of doc I was talking about - he really doesn't want to treat your pain. It appears he's more concerned about himself than you. Next, it is true that you've not been treated with Oxycodone but you could start the patch at the 25 strength and titrate from there. Then you said: "I also don't want to become addicted". You won't be provided the following: (1) that you do indeed have constant moderate to severe pain and (2) that you use the patches EXACTLY as prescribed by what ever physician RXes it for you. And next you said: "But either way--I don't do well with patches". Whataya mean? Are you saying you can't even use a bandaid? Are you alergic to the adhesives or what? Then you asked where does one put these patches. They can be placed anywhere. The medication in these patches are not used for localized pain. The fentanyl enters your blood stream and circulates throughout your body and delivers pain relief in that fashion. You can put the patches anywhere...your shoulders, chest, back, thighs...anywhere. I put them on my left shoulder where my vaccination scar is and I alternate from one shoulder to the other and I get by just fine on my shoulders. If your skin is sensitive then try them on the shoulder, then the back, then the chest, then the abdomen, then back to the shoulder, etc. If you really have the pain you describe then you need to bite the bullet and try something that really works on pain. There is no magic in any of that stuff your presently using - it's just not strong enough. Finally, the cost. Yes this is expensive and there is no way that I know of to get around this but in my many years of life I have learned that if there is a will there is almost always a way. There is one pain reliever that's literally dirt cheap and it's Methadone. It's a darn good pain reliever but lots of doctors (like yours), refuse to prescribe it because they think of it as a drug to help get addicts off the drugs they are addicted to. But, yes this is also a narcotic and many PNers use it successfully. It is or was a popular street drug...I don't mean made on the street...just liked by addicts. It is also used to help addicts come off the drugs they are addicted to but it's primary purpose is to relieve pain and it can do that without you becoming addicted. Addiction occurs almost exclusively when the patient abuses it.

Regarding addiction check out this:
http://www.letstalkpain.org/real_story/addictions.html AND
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/...0195150&page=1 BE SURE AND READ ALL 7 OF THESE MYTHS!!!

Again, I wish you good luck in your search for pain relief and I sincerely hope you find it immediately.

DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote