View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I have some history on methadone:

1) It used to be a brand name, Dolophine. And at one time when there were few opiates available, it was used for severe pain.
Like Cancer. At one time it was a legit pain management option.
It is not just for detoxing heroin addicts.

2) methadone is the generic name and is a useful alternative because it does not cause the euphoric highs that other opiates do (esp heroin), so it can be used to detox heroin without the "pleasure" which is the addictive part. It is very cheap and works for some PNers in very low doses.

I do think doctors are going to be resistant in giving a young person opiates.

That history of back pain you have, Sarah, and your lack of PN in the hands, bothers me. A nutritional cause would be affecting your hands too. I think getting another opinion in your case might be helpful. If your pain in your toes and legs is due to compressed nerves in the spine, a solution for that may present itself. But that would be your decision. Most PNers go thru many diagnostic opinions. Codeine is not a good drug for chronic pain...it has to be activated in the liver before becoming useful.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/420696
Quote:
Is it true that 10% of Caucasians are unable to metabolize codeine to the active form, so that the drug is unable to provide pain relief? If so, is the active form morphine?

Howard Scalone, DO
Response from David M. Quillen, MD

Codeine has a poor affinity for opioid receptors in the brain. As a pain medication, its effect occurs because of partial (approximately 10%) metabolism to morphine in the liver. The active enzyme in the liver responsible for conversion to morphine is the P450 2D6 enzyme. The 2D6 enzyme is also active in the metabolism of many medications, including paroxetine, sertraline, and others. Approximately 8% of the white population lacks 2D6 enzyme metabolic activity. It would be expected that those with limited 2D6 activity would get little or no analgesic effect from codeine. Of interest, codeine is effective on the cough reflex regardless of the conversion to morphine.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DanP (07-20-2010)