View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymcn View Post
So, not waiting for the blood test results because I was desperate, I put myself on a gf/df diet about 2 hours later and it was a Moses-type miracle - no kidding! But I realized that I didn't have the abdominal pain or neuropathy until I had started the topamax.
I really don't know if Topomax could in any way be a trigger for celiac disease.

I checked my book on The Nutritional Cost of Prescription Drugs to see if I could find anything on Topomax, and what nutrients it may deplete, but I couldn't find it. Sometimes these depletions are the cause of some of the side effects, and you can compensate for them if you know what they are.

You may be experiencing side effects from Topomax. But, with your medical history, I'd definitely give a gluten free diet a trial of six months or longer, despite your negative blood work. Do you know what tests they ran, btw? Did they include the antigliadin antibodies? I explain why I ask on the Diagnostic Testing page of The Gluten File.

Here is what the PDR says on Topomax:
Topamax side effects
  • Side effects may include:
    Abdominal pain, abnormal coordination, abnormal vision, agitation, anorexia, anxiety, appetite loss, back pain, breast pain, chest pain, confusion, constipation, depression, difficulty with concentration, difficulty with memory, dizziness, double vision, drowsiness, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, indigestion, language problems, leg pain, loss of coordination, menstrual problems, mood problems, nausea, nervousness, nose inflammation, rash, sinusitis, slowing of movements, sore throat, speech problems, tingling or burning sensations, tremors, weakness, weight loss
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/r.../top1541.shtml

The Epilepsy forum and Peripheral Neuropathy forum might be good places to ask about the side effects of Topomax, if you haven't.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 02-06-2007 at 11:02 AM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote