View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello and Welcome!

You sound exactly like me! I needed Mestinon - but didn't want to medicate or become dependent (or maybe just didn't want to admit how much I needed it...I don't know!)

Anyway, I am quite functional for someone with MG - even without the Mestinon. But after a year and some of denial - - I have finally given in to the fact that I can do whatever I do better (and with less 'willing myself to get it done') with the Mestinon than without. I have now increased to 120 mg on quiet days and 180+ on physically active days.

Unfortunately, if I string too many physically active days together, I really need to up the Mestinon - - until by the 3rd or 4th day - I just have to give in and have an inactive day (which I hate!)

Even with the Mestinon increase I have had some deterioration - my eyes and swallowing are not as good (but not bad yet either). So I'm hoping that taking the Mestinon will allow my muscles to last longer (but I have no way of knowing that this is even factually true!)

There are certain foods and beverages that help or hurt MG - but the 'helpers' are not as effective as Mestinon. (Like caffine helps - alcohol hurts). Sleep (as in really restful REM sleep) is imperative. Not getting overheated (whether physical temprature or exercise/exertion) also very important.

Hope this helps - I applaud your wanting to investigate options. One thing my neuro recommended was daily sublingual B12 (for nerve health). That seems to be fairly consistent with everyone one here.

Sue
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
wondergirl (07-21-2010)