Thread: New Leaker
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Leaker

Hi, I just found this forum and am hoping to get more answers. One day a few weeks ago my nose started dripping from one side. It started slowly and then got pretty heavy for a few days. I finally went to my GP thinking I just has some type of infection. An hour later I was sitting in an ENT's office where they collected a sample and then sent me off for a CT scan. A week later the test came back positive for cerebrospinal fluid. I had a spontaneous leak as I have had no traumas or surgeries that would have led to it.

I was told I was told there was a high risk of developing meningitis and that I needed surgery as soon as possible to patch the leak. I am now 2 weeks post surgery and on the drug acetazolamide. But I still have so many questions.

For one thing, a couple of days before the surgery I started having one to three drops a day from the other nostril. The doctor looked during surgery but did not see anything yet I am continuing to have the dripping. I may need to collect the fluid to be evaluated at some point to see if I have a second leak.

Has anybody had more than one spontaneous leak? If so, did it happen at the same time? Are you on this medication?

Any other insights would be great....
momzimmer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote