View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank you

Thank you so much for your kind words....It's not easy having a loved one who is suffering with this condition. I have good days and bad days too. This morning I was frustrated about his pillows being all over the living-room. (He has at least 3 for each arm) - they make such a mess when he's not in the recliner.....BUT I know he needs them so I restack them on his chair until he's back in it again...little things like that occasionally urk me - I'm only human and do try my best, I just need to remember what their for and who they are for.

I get angry too - Angry because in the time since the RSD in his leg (1995) and now in his arm (2006) 11 YEARS have gone by with no major advancement towards major pain relief and/or recovery. Angry, because his employers didnt care enough when asked for ergo for the drivers arms told my husband and the crew to "buy their own" (on a minimul salary), Angry because his employers have not accepted responsibility for his condition which thus caused the surgery and thus caused the RSD - Angry because the W/C insurance company has denied responsibility there for cutting him off medically and financially - Angry because the "system" does nothing to protect injured workers, their families, and there is no financial security net for someone who developes a serious medical condition. (AKA - Social Security = Slooooocial Security) - People starve and die waiting for an income and treatment......And the list could go on.....I try to harness that anger tho and research, share information, spread the word about RSD, contact elected officials, etc. I have not made progress by leaps and bounds but for each little "bug" I put in ones head I feel I've accomplished something.

Your right - this disease does destroy not only relationships meaning husband/wife and/or partner but also relationships between children and parent....Our oldest remembers dealing with the RSD and dads leg and how it has limited him (no tackle football, no bike rides, skiing, etc)...now he's dealing with dads arm as well and he's angry. He's had so much lost and had his life with his father taken away from him. We were talking about this just the other night....It's extremely hard on him, he's had to take on the role of caregiver, doing "dads jobs", helping more then normal with his siblings, etc. It's a lot of pressure for a teenager...or rather any child.

Our two youngest are struggling with this as well. I used to be home with them all the time while dad was the financial provider. Well no more....I am now working (which is a hard adjustment for them all) and dad is at home. This has thrown them for a loop. Right now my hours have been cut (poor weather for a tourist area and the economy in general) so I have been home a few weekdays and the kids are liking that. I feel somedays as the mom (who always said she'd be home and there for her kids no matter how poor we were) like I've abandoned them - I feel guilty because I'm not here for them. Dad is, I know, but it's still hard - I've been home with them all their lives. Now I cant watch them get on the bus, tell them " Have a good day & I love you" before they head off to school, or brush my daughters hair in the mornings....

One thing I'd like to add, before I close as I've worked my way to tears writing this - is that please - for those of you that suffer from RSD remember to give thanks to your care-giver and to your families. Let them know you appreciate all they do for you and that you need them and appreciate their support. One kind word every day can make the difference in all of our lives. Be their shoulder to cry on if need be - Sometimes they need that reassurance too.

HubbyWithRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote