View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I've not heard of Prednisolone being mixed with Dextrose, but then I live in a different country which could have different practices.

I've only ever had IV Methyl Prednisolone mixed with Saline, and other people I know have also had that same mixture. When I had IV cortisone I was given 1000mgs mixed in Saline, and that was repeated each day for 3 days (total of 3000mgs ... or 3G).

Cortisone does tend to increase your blood sugar, but if you were monitored (say in hospital) I can't imagine there'd be a problem, unless your own blood glucose was elevated or borderline to start with ....

I'm used to Dextrose being infused at a 4% or 5% ratio. Neither of those amounts would be enough to upset the blood glucose in most people, but in a diabetic, or some-one with an unstable blood glucose level, both these ratios might cause an elevated BSL, especially with the hyperglycemic effect of cortisones.

If this is your first infusion, I can't imagine it causing lasting damage to either your liver or your pancreas, but I'll stand corrected on that if others have different information.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote