View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoplasm View Post
You are getting/have ascites (fluid in your abdominal cavity)? And the doctors think it's RSD?

And does everyone here have edema?
From the Cleveland Clinic website:

Edema is swelling that is caused by fluid trapped in your body’s tissues. Edema happens most often in the feet, ankles, and legs. Other parts of the body, such as the face and hands, can also be affected. Edema can happen to anyone.

The more classic definition is fluid in the abdominal cavity, but modern medicine has now expanded that to include the type of swelling described above. Yes, that is a very common symptom of RSD, extreme swelling of the affected limb or limbs.

I have had doctors prescribe compression hose, which helped and hurt at the same time. I eventually gave up on those. I follow a "common sense" diet of low sodium (but not going overboard - our bodies do need some natural sodium) and put my feet up as often as possible.

I have discovered some shoes from New Balance that are black leather uppers, synthetic, soft soles, and have Velcro fasteners. At a glance, they can pass for men's dress shoes - enough for me to get by wearing them to work. I can reach down throughout the day and quickly adjust the tightness without having to fumble with laces.

These are also available in white, and (I think) canvass.

Mike

Last edited by bassman; 07-22-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: grammar
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote