View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am happy to be able to correct the post above. My pain has not returned, at least not permanently.

July 22, 2010
5 year anniversary of my MVD

This year was a little different. I had a few more shocks than last year. Still had my usual seasonal blip in April like I seem to have every year. When I say blip, I mean about 5-7 hours of mild shocks, maybe 2-3 every hour and then it disappears for another year.

This year in June I had a 2 day problem. I had a huge shock in the middle of the night that jolted me out of a deep sleep. The attack continued very strongly for two days. I actually was convinced my TN had returned in full glory. I went back on a low dose of Tegretol and it seemed to work. I stayed on the Tegretol and had no shocks for a few days and then reduced till I was off the drug. The shocks were gone and I have not had any since. That weekend was a horrible stormy hot and humid weekend and my hormones were all over the place. I am starting to go through peri menopause and besides the TN, I have lots of other lovely symptoms that go along with this.

How am I now? Nervous. I am concerned and watch the days on the calender to try to time when the next possible attack could come (to coincide with my cycle). I have read how a sudden spike or drop in estrogen can affect the trigeminal nerve and I am convinced that is what is happening to me. I believe it falls under the heading of "Menstrual Migraines" http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/4465789

I have an appointment booked with my neurosurgeon for October just to see if he can rule out another compression, but I am pretty sure that if it was a compression the TN would be more consistent.

Physically, I am fine and 95% pain free and 100% medication free.
Emotionally, TN has a strong hold on my life.

I still don't take any day for granted without TN and without Tegretol.

We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust our sails
ella138 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote