View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Question about Topamax

I have a question about Topamax, and I'm hoping someone with some experience or knowledge can help me.

I have been on Topamax for a couple of months (100 mg twice a day). I didn't think anything of it and haven't had any side effects from the medicine.

I had purchased a book about Peripheral Neuropathy on Amazon that I finished reading this afternoon. Included in the book was a chapter on treatments for neuropathy. The section that talked about Topamax talked about how Topamax has go through your kidneys. I wish I still had the book so I could copy the sentence word for word, but I am letting a friend borrow it to read up on neuropathy.

My question is this. I only have one good kidney. One kidney is only 15% functioning. I am not allowed to take things like aspirin, aleve, or ibuprofen because they will affect my kidney. My doctors don't want any damage done to my good kidney (obviously, neither do I). My question is--is Topamax bad for a person's kidneys? I looked it up online and found some websites that said that Topamax led to kidney failure. I also found websites that said taking Topamax could lead to kidney stones in some people. That's not an issue with me, at least not thus far. But I am wondering if I should be alerting my neurologist about my kidney problem and going off of Topamax. To my knowledge, it isn't helping anyway. Does anyone out there have any idea?

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote