View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 04:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default OT - Cholesterol

I don't see any groups here specifically about cholesterol, so I figured that you guys being all supplementy and stuff, you might be able to give me some good advice. My cholesterol has come back high yet again, even though I've really been watching my diet and am swimming 20 laps (don’t know pool length) 2-3 times a week. I guess I could exercise more, but most everything but swimming aggravates my feet and it’s hard to get to the pool more. Anyway, here are my numbers:

Total - 221
HDL - 66
LDL - 133
Triglicerides - 112

I know that my HDL is pretty good and my total and LDL are borderline bad, but I'm not sure how much more I can do with my diet. I’m staying way under the recommended daily limit of cholesterol. Do any of you believe that bad carbs can raise cholesterol? I don’t know what to believe except that I think Atkins and Ornish are both too extreme on opposite ends. I could stand to lose about 25 lbs, though—that might help.

Here are the daily supplements that I take and thought are supposed to lower cholesterol:

Fish oil - 3,000 mg
B1 (thiamine) - 100 mg
CoQ10 - 100 mg

Are there any other supplements that I should try? After reading here, I know I do NOT want to take any statins, and I doubt my risk factors are high enough to justify that. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!