View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Location: Maryland, South/Western Shore Chesapeake Bay, "God's Country"
10 yr Member

Location: Maryland, South/Western Shore Chesapeake Bay, "God's Country"
10 yr Member
Default Oh my Goodness, this could change things for me....

So much more to look into and read now! I'm the one who takes a low-level dosage of a statin for cholesterol and it has no connection to my sensory PN I've had for 11 yrs. Started the statin about 3 yrs ago, can't remember exactly. I knew it could cause neuropathy and raised the question with my PCP who had not heard of it. Then I searched and everything I read always came back to one study in the Netherlands I think which found causes but at a very low risk % for PN, so....he prescribed 1/2 dose for me to try and it has worked. His concern has been for my LDL number which he says should be 100 or under and he likes to see it under 70, so that is my goal. I've been able to get it there most of the time but not all and this last time, he said take full-strength. His reason for this is because my problem is genetic and I have diabetes too and that has it's own effects on the heart and circulatory system. I've recently had my heart checked out with tests and it's in great shape, I'm able to do walking (1 mile) for exercise and believe that's a big factor, plus low-fat diet.

We are sure of the genetic link because my Mom has the same thing and also I have annual testing from 1989-2001 done at my job with the numbers supporting this.

But I am going to read this new information, Mrs. D with an open mind, I'm a retired research lab technician (bio), need to put in a "new person post" I guess and am interested in your research here. My Mom's situation is a little higher in the numbers but she eats well and is going strong at age 93. She has had 2 angina attacks, but no lasting effects. She gets some exercise working in her yard and a little walking. Her Dr., an internist, for whatever reason has not ever put her on any cholesterol med....he is regarded by some in the community as being less up on the latest, but just maybe he is the wisest of all! He was my Dr. til I moved and a family friend....
dany is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote