View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Anyone know what this EEG report is saying?

My previous neurologist was useless. I saw him after a blackout episode when my family doctor was concerned I might have had a seizure.

They did the EEG and I got the following report back. He was completely dismissive of me and my questions...so I'm just curious if anyone else has any insight to what these EEG results mean:

DESCRIPTION:
"Posterior dominant rhythm measures 10 Hz, is of moderate amplitude and symmetric. EMG and eye blink artifact are noted. During hyperventilation 3-10 second bursts of large-amplitude rhythmic 2-3 cycle per second generalized slow waves fill the screen. This does not persist more than a minute an a half after hyperventilation. Photic stimulation adds no further information. Patient did become drowsy as characterized by attenuation of the posterior dominant rhythm with introduction of low-voltage slow waves. Vertex sharp waves are noted and are quite prominent with spindle activity. There appears to be rhythmic buildup to the slowing over the central head regions at times."

IMPRESSION:
"This is an abnormal adult EEG due to excessive generalized large-amplitude rhythmic slowing noted during hyperventilation, as well as excessive slowing during drowsiness and sleep. Underlying cortical irritability that could give rise to seizures cannot entirely be excluded. Clinical correlation is required."

My doctor just told me that the "blackout episode" in 2008 which happened again this month and was witnessed this time by my boyfriend...are caused by Hemiplegic Migraines. I've also been undergoing testing for MS for the last several years with no definitive answers.

So I'm not sure if this EEG is helpful at all concerning either the migraine issue or the MS symptoms. What do those abnormalities mean and what could cause them?
tinymommy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
waves (07-27-2010)