View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbycakes View Post
Is there a Cancer section on this site? I have been a member of the RSD section for years and have had found great info. on this site. My husbands mother has serious lung cancer which his father just passed of the same thing a year ago. I want to do the best for my mother in law she is a wonderful women and truly hate to see her suffer. She is a difficult patient in the sense that she things she knows better then her doctors, she just doesn't listen. She is extremely smart was a payroll manager for 25 years for a very large company of 2000 employess, so she is not stupid. Any info. would be appreciated. PLEASE ALL WHO SMOKE TRY AND QUIT, THIS IS THE 4 RELATIVE WHO HAS PASSED FROM LUNG CANCER.
Hi. Welcome to Neurotalks. You sound like a very caring and compassionate person. Your mom in law is very lucky to have you in her life.

I did try and fine a message forum on cancer but I was not able to find one. Perhaps if you searched another website you'll have much better luck.

And you are SO right about the smoking. I lost a dear friend at the age of 58 to lung cancer, another friend at age 53 to lung cancer. Both were heavy life long smokers who thought "it's not going to happen to me".

Both were told by their doctors to quit and both did not listen. It's obviously extemely hard to give this up. I lose my mother to emphyasema 15 years ago. My mother was one of 10 siblings. All had cancer. ALL OF THEM. AND EVERYBODY SMOKED.

I gather that this was the acceptable behavior all those years ago. All I have to do is watch an old Turner Classic movie and everyone is smoking. Even the doctors in hospitals were lighting up.

It's a horrible addiction. And you are right in telling people to STOP SMOKING.

Unfortunately, the majority won't listen. I have a diabetic friend who will not stop. She says "it calms me down". How can I react to that? Nothing I can do.

But the two oddest experiences I had with smokers actually blew me away.

The first was outside of Cornell Medical Center in NYC a few years ago. They have smoking booths (glass cubicles outside the hospital where you can sit and light up).

You have no idea how many doctors and nurses were smoking. I walked up to one and said "may I ask you a question?" and she immediately said "Yes, you want to know why I'm a doctor and I smoke???" I said "well, yes, actually", "you obviously know the dangers". These were her exact words:

"I don't want to gain weight, I'd rather have cancer".

So how does one respond to that? One does not.

And the other experience was at the funeral of one of my friends who died from this disease. Everybody was outside smoking. And they JUST WERE AT HER FUNERAL.

So it's one heck of an addiction, isnt' it??

Hey, if one person reads our posts and decides "I don't need this stuff in my body", and throws out their cigarettes, hey we might have done SOMETHING.

We can only try.

Anyway, you are a very nice person to be helping out your mother-in-law. She sounds like a feisty lady who is not going down quietly.

I wish her the best.

Take care
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (07-28-2010), Rrae (07-25-2010)