View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Many doctors don't understand how patients can be "happy" when they get an MG diagnosis - we're not happy because we have this disease, we're "happy" that we finally have a DEFINITE diagnosis and it's not all in our head! Some doctors will say, "You really don't want this", but they don't understand that once we have a name for what's been ailing us, we have a point from which to start. We can do research, talk to others who have the same thing, and in our case, there are medications that can help.

I'm still pretty new to all of this, but my DH and I were talking last night, and I said that it was good to have the Dx, because now I am able to listen to my body, and to allow myself to rest and not feel like I am a lazy slug. I NEED the rest, and now I don't feel guilty about stopping whatever I am doing when my body tells me it's time to take it easy.

You're going to go through the stages of grief, because your life won't be the same. However, you WILL get through this, and in a few months you will get used to your new "reality". We went through the same thing when our youngest was born with Down syndrome - we were sure that life would never be the same, but a few months later we realized that yes, things had changed, but we had adjusted and just moved on. Time marches on, whether we want it to or not.

You'll find the same thing happens with your diagnosis. You live each day as it comes, and before you know it, you have incorporated your illness into your everyday life and you don't think about it as much. Allow yourself to grieve - otherwise, you'll never be able to move on. And let yourself have a few "pity parties" where you just feel really sorry for yourself! Then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back in the game. There really isn't much that you can "do" about MG - it's a chronic disease that can only be "managed" - except to learn as much as you possibly can and to be ready for whatever might come.

And always, always, ALWAYS remind yourself that it could be a LOT worse - I have an acquaintance who is younger than me, whose kids are younger than mine (one of them has Down syndrome), who is in the end stages of Lou Gehrig's disease. When I think about that, I remind myself that I am extremely lucky to only have MG - at least I will be around for my kids and any future grandkids that we may have.

You're going to get through this, and all of us are here to help you with any questions that you may have. I would be willing to bet that whatever you may be experiencing, there is at least one other person on this forum who has gone through something very similar, and they will be able to give you advice and/or guidance. I know it's scary not knowing what the future may hold, but if you think about it, nobody ever knows what the future may hold, whether they have an illness or not....
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote