View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 03:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm considering finding a new doc to see about MG, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. Especially not worth it if they just look at me funny and think I'm a nutcase.

One possible issue for me is, I have that ACTN3 sprinter gene thing... which I wrote about in another thread. It makes me really strong in small spurts, or something like that. So someone who was asking me to lift some weights, or whatever, they would think I was strong/normal and obviously had no muscle problems. I guess they could still test me and I could try not to push myself. Or I could push myself and tire myself out and then they could see the weakness. I'm unsure.

But I guess a lot of MG patients are accustomed to pushing themselves to get something done, and have that ability? Or maybe it's more because of Fibro but it makes sense to be MG. Most of the time, unless I exerted myself a lot in the previous hours or couple of days, I can just stress myself out mentally and get something done. It seems like it MUST be because I cause stress and release acetylcholine in my body, so then my muscles have more. And my muscles normally have very little. Or something like that, it feels very unhealthy to have to push myself this way. I think it's like how a normal person can get superhuman strength if they were in a crisis (had to lift a really heavy beam to free their friend), but I do it all the time to myself just so I can walk up the stairs or do anything.

Yeah, generally when I try a new supplement or medication I ditch it in a few days. But Mestinon was a clear keeper. I was trying to describe to others how it felt.

People who have dysfunction of their autonomic systems can be put on Mestinon and that's why I got on it. It only works for some of the people, they say it works only if your type of autonomic problem is due to autoimmune problems. So that makes the situation even stranger - do I have MG, just Fibro, or some other autoimmune thing, or what... I wish I would just test positive for something clear cut.

Anyway I was trying to explain to others how Mestinon helps and what it doesn't do... the main thing I think of saying is how the effect is so subtle yet powerful. Strange huh. Besides the initial weird feel I get.

Re: kicking in, yep... us sensitive people can feel so much more. And other people can see it kick in if they're around me too. Or if they stopped by for a visit, they could usually tell if I had taken it or not.
wondergirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote