View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

MGMom,

I didn't see any medications listed for your daughter that she may be taking for MG. A person in another thread mentioned that if a person is taking either steroids and/or an immunosuppressant, they will PROBABLY get a negative reading on a CD screen. If your daughter has been on either of those classes of drugs, it is entirely possible that she does, indeed, have CD, but her test results may be giving a false negative result.

The genetic test that can be done is the HLA Test for Celiac Disease - it will let you know if she has one of the more common Haplotypes seen the majority of CD patients. While the medications may "mask" the presence of CD, they WILL NOT cure it. The only known "cure" for CD is a gluten-free diet.

I don't know if an endoscopy would be affected by those medications either. You might want to ask your doctor and/or a gastroenterologist who is familiar with CD. I would hate for you to do an invasive procedure for no good reason.

You may just want to start both of your kids on a gluten-free diet, just to see if it helps any of their symptoms. It sounds as if they both have LOTS of the things that are seen in patients with CD. It's just a thought.....
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote