View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

You may want to ask your neurologist to let you do a trial of Mestinon. If you DON'T have MG, you won't be able to tolerate even the tiniest amount of it. All of my tests came back negative - my neuro even said that my eyelid wasn't as droopy as most of her other patients' eyelids were - but she went ahead and had me try the medication.

I started out with 30mg - no difference; felt fine. Three days later I tried 60mg - very slight difference; felt fine. After another 3 days, I tried 90mg - BIG difference; felt fine. And then 3 days after that, I tried 120mg - felt nauseous; started drooling excessively; felt dizzy and faint.

When I went back to see the Dr., I told her my experience, and also told her that I had started taking 90mg about every 4-5 hours, and could really tell the difference (even my eyelid looked and felt less droopy!). Well, that was enough for her to go ahead and make a positive Dx of MG - she said that she always waits for her patients to tell her how they did on the drug trial, and most of them do the same thing that I did (taking more once I found a dose that worked).

So it is entirely possible that you are one of those patients who tests negative, yet still has MG - and your symptoms are MUCH worse than mine were! If you think that you might have this disease, INSIST on being allowed to do a Mestinon trial. If you don't have MG, you'll know it immediately, because you won't be able to tolerate the medication. Remember, you are paying for a service, and you can always take your business elsewhere. In this economy, I don't think that any doctor wants to lose revenue....
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote