View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Does this sound like MG?

Hi-
I have certain symptoms that to me suggest MG. And I wondered if maybe I was close, or possibly reading too much into how this is going. . .

Starting late 2006, I had a flare-up of Neuralgic Amyotrophy which left me with a winging scapula- mainly on the right, but a bit on the left as well. Part of the way NA works is to leave you with persisting weakness. But, it is supposed to go away eventually. My weakness is not acting quite right for simple NA.

Starting with the winging, I lost strength in both arms- going from being able to do 20 pushups early in 2007 to doing none a few months into the year. This lasted around 2 years. Also during this time, I had weakness in lower back and thigh area, and had eye problems developing: high intraocular pressure, blurred vision and double vision. Since this time I have had a heck of a time getting new prescription for glasses that will work more than a few months. I have problems reading for more than 20 minutes or so at a time.

I would try a couple of times a week to see if I could do any exercise. If I did pushups at all, they were modified so I was at a 45 degree angle on a desk for example. I would try sit-ups and the most I could do was 4-5, and that would be excruciating. Resting for 20 minutes, I would try again and not even be able to move, let alone sit up.

Earlier this year, my strength returned for a brief week or so, and I was able to work myself up to 25 pushups, and 15 sit-ups- only to have strength drop off again to almost nothing. I mentioned this to my doctors, and they suggested I was doing the exercises incorrectly.

Then, I had another return of strength and got up to 25 sit-ups and 35 pushups a day. I was fine for a couple of months, and then noticed I was getting a bit of a shake going again when exercising. Now I have dropped off again to being able to do only 7 pushups if I really push it.

If I read more than 10-15 minutes, I have trouble keeping my eyes open. I have periods where I will have Nystigmus and double vision.
My lower back feels like it is not supporting me as it should. My legs feel heavy after walking a brief time.

I have tremor and twitches that are more or less controlled, but they break through on occasion.

It is the eyes and fluctuation of strength that bothers me most at this point, and these are the symptoms that my doctors are choosing to ignore.
Does any of this sound familiar to those with MG?
rbwalton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote