View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredebassett View Post
Sorry to hear about you plight. I have been reading these stories on and off for the past 5 years. I had my diaphragm paralyzed after having surgery to correct a blood flow problem to my right arm (subclavian bypass) I tried everything exercise, medication etc. I went to the Mayo Clinic and we talked about diaphragm plication surgery last year. A family crisis caused me to leave during testing and return home. During that year I found a group of surgeons that do nerve reconstruction. They removed 35 cm of nerve from my right leg and transplanted it attaching one end to my phrenic nerve and the other to my diaphragm. The jury is still out as the nerve regenerates at approximately 1 mm per day. This means if I have a full recovery I will not no for 8 -14 months. What i can tell you is that I can now lay on my back again. I can bend over and tie my shoes w/o gasping for breath. I no longer have the feeling like I was forced to eat until the point of feeling sick even though I may have not eaten for more than 24 hrs at times. My case was extreme. My diaphragm was elevated into my chest cavity (same place that occupies your heart) If nothing else happens the changes that did have already made a difference in the way I feel. I know of no one else that performs this surgery as it took me 5 years of searching to find them. Can they help everyone! NO! They are selective on who they take after a battery of tests. If you are interested in this please feel free to email me or post a note to this sight.
I am going to NJ for the same surgery that you had. I would be interested in anything you could tell me about your experience. I particularly would like to know if I will be up to flying back home one week after the surgery. How do I find your email address? I didn't see it anywhere on this website. Thanks. BJ
Casey14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote