View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused when it rains it pours

After months of misdiagnosis I finally had surgery on a herniated disc on my c6-c5 neck. After the surgery I was still in rough shape. I found a miracle doctor that really helped me with physical therapy, mind body connection, and how to relax. Things were really starting to help. I was getting weaned off of the narcotics and showing real progress.

Finally off the narcs, I was vacationing, and got some really bad lower back pain. I tried working with my Pain clinic "miracle" doctor, and he just kept saying I was having a "flare up". We tried ever non-narcotic way to break-up this flare-up, nothing worked. He kept saying that my mind wasn't allowing my body to heal, and to work with a pain psychologist. I worked with the psych, and she said she didn't think my mind was contributing. My doc finally just said he can't help me and to seek help from a psychiatrist.

The pain-psychologist that worked with my doc, said she didn't think that was the answer. She said I could either goto my primary care, get referred, get tested, get more appts and wait 2months, or goto ER and get it checked in one fell swoop.

I chose the ER route. I was so frustrated with the Pain clinic. It felt as though they gave up on me and just thought I was drug seeking. The ER took an immediate MRI and found a tumor at my S1 nerve root (lower back). I don't even know what that means. Anyone have any experience?

I was so frustrated when the people you are supposted to count of for help, give up on you (and don't beleive you). As a patient, you really have to be your own advocate.

Any advice, please comment. Thanks!
proxyii is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote