View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New (almost) Poster/Question PN and new pain

Hi all and Mrs. D--

I used to post on BrainTalk several years ago, but then it went dark and I couldn't find it. Mrs. D, I am Nan. I've talked with you several times.

I have a question. I've been dealing with PN for a number of years, and at first, I was in considerable pain and could barely walk more than ten minutes at a time. After going on Neurontin (now Gabapentin), and only taking twice a day, I've had it under some control, and I was able to do most anything unless it affected my back (bad back issues).

However, several months ago, I was lying in bed almost asleep when I had an excruciating pain in both feet. I couldn't even attempt to sleep. I had to get up and sit in a recliner in order to sleep. I went to my new physician, and he prescribed pentoxifilline (spelling?), which is a blood thinner. I started taking it three times a day, and that pain pretty much disappeared. I'm now only taking it occasionally at night. Now, though, the tingling pain has come back and whereas I could have ignored it before, I can't now. I know that's the PN, but the other--the extreme pain that was only relieved when I sat in a recliner--I wonder if it has something to do with a vascular problem. My cholesterol is quite high, but I've refused to take the statins anymore. I was on them for fifteen or so years. Also, I've lost almost all of the hair on my legs. Is this normal for PN?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
inspirations is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote