Thread: Reassurance..
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

jd,

As you said, it is frustrating when you know more than your doctor.

The subconcussive impact issue is soundly based or as some put it, evidence based. The old idea that only serious impact can have a concussive effect is based on medical ignorance. Most of the medical establishment is ignorant of concussion issues, especially the recent research. One of the problems is that there is not much a doctor can do about concussions or even less with sub-concussive impacts. Sort of a "If I can not image it or heal it, it does not exist.

I would suggest looking for a new neuro who understands concussion and subconcussive impacts. maybe you need to find some info about subconcussive impacts to show this woman and see if she will learn. Google subconcussive impact.

Here3 is an article from NIMH: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...NmMBQHIpXrUXRQ

Subconcussive impacts have two results. Those that are many over a short period of time can cumulatively cause serious long term damage, sometimes, the damage that does not become evident until years later.

If the subconcussive impacts follow a more serious insult to the brain, they can build on the prior injury with symptoms that manifest within a short period of time. If this is shortly after the more serious concussion, the symptoms will likely be attributed to the concussion.

If it is longer after recovery from the concussion, it is unlikely the symptoms will be even connected to the subconcussive impact since subconcussive impacts are usually disregarded and forgotten.

Those that understand the seriousness of subconcussive impacts suggest the need to keep track of them for future reference. They suggest that sport trainers and sport doctors include this in the medical history of the athlete. Failing to note or consider subconcussive impacts can cause a later diagnosis of hypochondria or malingering or somatoform disorder.

Many doctors who even know of such impacts will still disregard them like your doctor does and thus diagnose something other than concussion symptoms.

Dr Julian Bailes is the first to coin the term subconcussive impacts. He was formerly the team physician of the Pittsburgh Steelers football team. Dr. Bailes' research includes a study sponsored by the National Football League Players Association on head injuries among professional football players; team physicians frequently consult him for his expertise in this area.

The term subconcussive impacts is quickly becoming understood by those working with football head injuries. The research shows that the average football athlete suffers between 700 and 900 subconcussive impacts during a single season with lineman suffering the most.

Since most of my impacts have been subconcussive impacts, this is an area of great interest for me. My life changing injury was more of a whiplash injury than an impact. All I did was take a bad step off a curb and land with a jarring vertical foot plant.

Neuro's need to understand that it is the symptoms that determine the injury, not the amount of force estimated.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote