Old 02-07-2007, 12:38 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Pack Hall of Famer loses battle with ALS
DAN HINXMAN
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL

Friends and family remembered John Ramatici for his strength, courage and unwavering spirit during his 16-month battle with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, better known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.

"I probably have to say the most remarkable part of the whole process was, here's a guy who was given a death sentence, and to the very, very end he was still able to smile," his brother, Paul, said Tuesday. "He was just happy. He never pitied himself, never once said, 'Why me?' He was truly amazing."

Ramatici, a former Kodak All-American linebacker at Nevada (1980-81), died Sunday at his home in Petaluma, Calif. He was 46.

"I think John was probably in a lot more pain than people thought," said longtime friend and Reno resident Bubba Melcher, who was a teammate and graduate assistant coach with Ramatici while at Nevada. "It's one of those things, you're so thankful it's over. On the other hand you're going to miss the guy for the rest of your life.

"If there is such a thing as making this process easy, John was able to do that."

Chris Ault was in his fifth year as head coach of the Pack when Ramatici joined the team.

Ramatici is the second former Pack player in recent months to die at a young age. Former lineman Deron Thorp died of a heart attack on Nov. 4. He was 34.

"My memories of John Ramatici are crystal clear of a wonderful person who was a great Wolf Pack football player and a tremendous human being," Ault said. "It's really tough. Last fall, Deron Thorp passed away. It certainly sparks vivid memories of the times when they were with you.

"All of our love and prayers go to John and his family. He'll be dearly missed and fondly remembered by the Wolf Pack."

Melcher, whose friendship with Ramatici was rekindled in recent years as both got into competitive cycling, said he made frequent trips to Petaluma in recent months to see Ramatici, and he always left in awe. The visits were inspiring, Melcher said. Having to leave was difficult.

"When he cries he has trouble breathing," Melcher said. "So you tell yourself, 'Don't cry.' Yeah, right."

Melcher said he asked a friend, John Bedell, to help him build a wheelchair ramp for Ramatici a couple weeks ago. Bedell is a contractor who lives in the Bay Area.

"We're building the ramp and John comes out with this big smile on his face," Melcher said. "He was just so appreciative."

Melcher said he called Bedell on Sunday to tell him of Ramatici's death, and Bedell told Melcher how Ramatici had changed his life.

"Here's this guy in a wheelchair. (Bedell) looks up and there's a smile on his face," Melcher said. "John (Bedell) said, 'I just don't know if I could smile. It just really changed my life.'

"That's the message that John Ramatici sent."

Ramatici, who is the Wolf Pack career leader in tackles over a two-year period (279), was in Reno in October for the hall of fame ceremonies. He was inducted on Oct. 21. A few weeks prior to that he went to a Michigan State football game in Lansing, Mich., as a guest of Spartan coach John L. Smith.

Smith, who was fired after the season, was Ramatici's position coach at Nevada, and the two remained close friends. Melcher said Ramatici's condition worsened soon after his induction.

"(The trip to) Michigan State and the Hall of Fame weekend, that was pretty much his last hurrah, if you will," Melcher said. "He spent Thanksgiving and Christmas with his family in Petaluma."

Paul Ramatici said John awoke Sunday in pain, and hospice nurses wanted to give him morphine.

"He said no," Paul said. "He wanted to watch the Super Bowl. So he watched the Super Bowl, and then about an hour later he passed."

John Ramatici and his wife, Michelle, started a Web site (jandmramatici.com) soon after he was diagnosed.

"For over a year, that's how he kept people abreast," Paul said. "It was straight up and from the heart. He didn't candy-coat it."

Ramatici, who was vice president and co-owner of Don Ramatici Insurance, is survived by his wife and their son, Natale, 10. Ramatici had three children from a previous marriage, Kylie Ramatici, Jake Ramatici and Brittany Freitas, all of Reno. He is also survived by his parents, Don and Jan Ramatici; sisters Donna Ramatici, Susan Powers and Joan Johnson; brother, Paul Ramatici; and numerous aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces.

Visitation will be held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday at Parent-Sorensen Mortuary & Crematory in Petaluma. A vigil service will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at St. Vincent de Paul Church in Petaluma. A funeral mass is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Friday at St. Vincent de Paul.

The family has asked that memorials be made to the Hospice of Petaluma or the ALS Association, Greater Bay Area Chapter.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

'Wobble Club' man loses illness battle
08 February 2007
EDITORIAL - herts.advertiser@archant.co.uk

Harmen pictured in March 2005
BRAVE Motor Neurone Disease sufferer Harmen van Rijs, whose illness resulted in thousands of pounds being raised for research into the neurological disease, died on Sunday.

Harmen, aged 43, who had moved from Sandridge to a specially -adapted bungalow in Kimpton prior to his death in the Hospice of St Francis in Berkhamsted, was the inspiration behind The Wobbly Club.

It was set up with his wife Helen to raise awareness and funds for Motor Neurone Disease (MND) research and events such as a quiz night, a horse show, a picnic-in-the-paddock and a sponsored walk by Helen's brother helped raise a total of £13,360.

The Wobbly Club got its name because Helen told friends that even before Harmen had been diagnosed with the illness, he had wobbly legs. The couple had married in 2001 and ever since Helen knew him, he had suffered from a bad knee.

Blue

But it took a local physiotherapist to recognise that the problem lay with his central nervous system and he was finally diagnosed with MND.

For some time after his diagnosis, Dutch-born Harmen continued to work as a global risk accountant in London, driving himself into the capital in a hand-controlled car.

The couple eventually moved to Kimpton where Helen gave up work to care for her husband. When his care became too much to cope with at home, he went into the hospice where he died on Sunday with Helen at his bedside.

Helen said this week: "The people there were truly amazing and allowed me just to be his wife rather than his carer. He died as I stroked his face and once at rest became the beautiful man I married."

Harmen's funeral is being held at Garson Crematorium at 1.20pm on Saturday and the family has asked mourners to wear blue and be dressed in something comfortable and casual. Donations in his memory can be made to the Hospice of St Francis via www.justgiving.com/harmen

ALS/MND Registry

Last edited by BobbyB; 02-09-2007 at 07:43 AM.
BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote