View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Pilates for Parkinson's

(National) February 2, 2007 - An exercise regiment designed for dancers is now a possible treatment for Parkinson's patients.

By the way 59-year-old Dan Baker stretches and bends, you wouldn't know he has Parkinson's disease.

Parkinson's, a disease of the central nervous system, has slowed this former high school football coach down, but it hasn't stopped him. Twice a week, Dan takes a special Pilates class just for Parkinson's patients.

It's part of a clinical trial to see if a series of taxing exercises can help participants regain flexibility, balance and strength. Baker says, "I really feel energetic and feel like I can move much better. And especially the day after, when I've done a Pilates routine in the evening, early evening, I feel really, pretty mobile and pretty flexible and feel quite good about things."

Pilates focuses on breathing, core strength, extension, flexion and torso rotation. Julie Carter, R.N., talks about the changes in the patients, "So we saw a lot of improvement in trunkal rotation, posture and I think just general flexibility."

A small pilot study done at Oregon Health and Science University suggested that Pilates helped Parkinson's patients improve their motor skills. So the study is now being expanded.

Researchers will measure whether Pilates really improves the quality of life for Parkinson's patients.

The Pilates exercises used in the study are currently only being offered at the Parkinson Center of Oregon in Portland.
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote