View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

For me, with Autonomic Neuropathy, less is better. I think Electron likely has some concerns regarding a few of the psychotropics combined with pain meds.

For example, klonopin 1mg, translates to approximately 20mg of valium, but the half life can be up to 80 hours....meaning, you won't even experience much withdrawal from the drug for up to 3 days, then wham. It can accumulate to very high levels due to the long half life.

http://web4health.info/it/bio-benzo-overview.htm

In addition, some drugs cause others to accumulate more than if the drug was taken alone.

Anyway, every one has to find their own way in this disease, but benzodiazepines can actually cause more problems.

I do think that doctors should have to go thru a course on Benzodiazepines and z drugs.....if most of them ever had to go thru a withdrawal, even low dose, they would prescribe them very sparingly. Withdrawal from benzodiazepines can be life threatening even at low doses, and produces a neuropathy like syndrome.

Abilify is a potent inhibitor of dopamine. It can cause movement disorders in vulnerable people.

A risk versus benefit analysis needs to be done by every patient taking these drugs. It is a personal choice, though, and as some one who opted OFF the drugs, I feel that every one has to make their own decisions. It is true that some of these drugs actually make matters worse.

Any one going OFF any drug, needs to consult with their physician. Weaning schedules need to be developed and followed.

Others not so bad:
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote