Thread: Dandruff
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Why just water........

There are similarities between sebborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis, (sorry spellings won't come today). an overgrowth of skin tissue that does not shed easily and that builds up and clogs follicles etc sometimes createding sores and infection. I do know about this, and the abnormally fast growth of hair and nails too. I have pretty long hair, as it is too much to keep getting it cut, and the dandruff problem was insightly sore and and felt very antisocial, it got everywhere!

The treatment of severe psoriasis of the scalp often involves involves discontinuing shampoos and other drying chemical treatments for the hair, and using something called an emulsifying solution which breaks down surface tension and allows the hair to be cleansed by water without soap or detergent type products, as well as hydrating the scalp.

I had first hand experience of using this technique as one of my children had extreme infantile eczema, and this was the only technique that worked.

I took my cue from this, but went to the next step of the treatment process which was where you reintroduce hair products, and instead of using shampoo wash only with water and rinse with a very mild unperfumed conditioner. It was this that worked best for me. I avoided using emulsfying solution because unless you have really short hair it really is the most difficult stuff to wash out.

It takes time to get rid of the scales and crusts this way, but you are not contributing to further drying the scalp, the conditioner acts to moisturise it.

Other natural strategies that can be combined are using dilute fresh lemon juice as a rinse, and using sparing amounts of organic coconut, almond, or olive oil massaged into scalp only with fingertips, and then brushed through. The crusts eventually start to loosen easily, and for a while it APPEARS as though the problem is getting worse, but then they stop re-forming as the chemical irritants get shed, and the scalp is hydrated, and the scalp heals. I don't clain it works for all, and it does take patience, and I know it worked for me.
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote