View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The 150 mcg dose would be plenty and then some for a person who malabsorbs only moderately. For instance, if you lack sufficient acid to break B12 out of food, but still produce plenty of intrinsic factor, you would absorb from even a much smaller dose.

But when one lacks intrinsic factor, only about 1% of the 1000 mcg is absorbed, and 1% of 150 mcg would probably not even be absorbed, and if it were it would be so little as to be less than a drop in the bucket.

B12 must jump though lots of hoops to get through. And once it gets through, if it is not methylcobalamin it needs to be converted to it.

I know of at least one brand of 1000 mcg oral hydroxocobalamin. "Pure" brand. I think it is available through "health care providers" and at very specialized supplement and herb shops.

Most of the docs only need to catch up on about 50 years worth of homework. Unfortunately, even those who care to refer to a medical reference will get the same old bad information. Editors are the ones who should be drummed out of the business.

Yes, hydroxocobalamin is better than cyanocobalamin, and methylcobalamin is better than either of those.

rose

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote