View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Catie, Deciding whether or not to take Pred is a very personal decision. Prednisone can be a huge help but there is no way to predict what your short-term and long-term side effects will be. I personally think "short-term Prednisone" is an oxymoron.

If you do go on Pred for say a month, your ptosis and double vision could get even worse for a while after you go off of it. It's what's known as a "rebound effect." It happens with lots of drugs like hypertension drugs, etc.

There are so many truly bad side effects from Pred. You need to go read a complete insert on the drug for yourself.

Have you gone to a neuro-ophthalmologist to see if there are other things you might do that would help?

I just live with the ptosis and DV. It's not super bad like it is with some people. I can't do the other drugs unless I get much worse - too many contraindications.

Prednisone is not a simple drug. My personal opinion is that I would rather put up with the ptosis and DV than have potential glaucoma, cataracts, Pred-induced diabetes, thinning of bones, etc. And you can have more than one side effect!!

Take some time to think about it, read up and maybe talk it over with your family or friends. It's not a simple decision. I hope you can figure out what is best for you.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
catie (08-09-2010)