View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 04:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannafeelbettr View Post
Hi all! I suffer from Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, Lumbar RSD, Left Lower Extremity Radiculopathy, and both cervical and lumbar stenosis (several herniated discs). Had this problem 3 years now from a car accident. I have both a cervical and lumbar Spinal Cord Neurostimulators that work wonders for me and I'm very pleased with them. My problem lies in when my RSD flares up and the stimulators do not work with the burning sensation on the skin's surface. I need pain meds to take care of that.

So, the bigger problem.... getting the pain meds. My Pain Management Doc (who performed the stim procedures) told me to get them prescribed by my Primary Doctor (as he does not want to be bothered with appointments for minor stuff). I'd been getting them prescribed by my Primary Doc, who then told me she does not want to prescribe them for me anymore because it is a Pain Management Doctor who should do so (I agree with her). Then I go back to my Pain Management Doctor, who wants to perform more blocks and ketamine treatments instead of giving me meds -- don't get me wrong, I love the blocks and ketamine...just don't last and I cannot afford them. PM Doc tells me the pain meds are not good in the long run and refusues to prescribe, continues to push procedures (more $ in his pocket, I know). I'd hate to leave my PM doctor, he does wonders for me when I need my stimulator programs adjusted, and is a genius when it comes to RSD. I know if I switched to another PM, records would have to be sent and if my current PM doctor knew he'd be MAD (he's got quite a temper). Been 4 months now with no pain meds and am going through a torturous flare with RSD

Anyone else have similar experience? If so, how did you handle it??

Gentle hugs Vanna
All your doctors work for you so I would not concern myself with his temper or him getting mad. Your PM doctor knows that just recently the goverment is cracking down on PCP when Rxing narcotics. It has been noted many times over in the last couple of weeks in every paper is the US that PM doctors are the ones who should be RXing for chronic pain conditions. I understand that your situation is only for flares but I think he should do the RXing. Lets not forget he does all your blocks, ketamine and does maintenance of your neurostimulator.

I will never understand the differences in how PM doctor work. If I got a RX from another doctor or dentist and I did not have them call his office first he would be very upset with me and in a straight forward way would let me know. I quess I know better because I have never had a problems. He made it very clear from day one only he does the RXing. I don't have a neurostimulator but I have done in-patient ketamine and continue do to blocks as needed. Even if I have a surgery he is so involved with the anesthesia.

Good Luck

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote