Thread: Slow Dance
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 02:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Deliberate, successful mass poetry reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith View Post
Yes, that is exactly what happened, Bob. It has been part of a long-running hoax, not of the author's doing.

See http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/medical/slowdance.asp

I still love the poem.

Judith
This was a great example of internet subversion. The poet and the person who attached the story about the little girl, both love this poem and both felt a strong desire to tell everyone about it; and they succeeded immensely.
That was a message being sent out, folks. On purpose.
And it was sent out for free, around the world.
As Parkies, we see the best and we see the worst.
The poem, the poet, the merry prankster - they hoped they would get the message out, and I guarantee you they are tracking it with warmth and glee, I guarantee you they use search engines to pick up every mention of it, and so may see this. Good work!
I have been deeply pondering this dark thing, the one where nobody cares, and they drill holes in people's heads and then drop them, and they falsify the research and test drugs on African children and the sinemet shortage and Mirapex lawsuits and my friend Cecil died alone in the forest, which is maybe what he wanted to do in the end, but I doubt it would have been his first choice if he had choices.
I got up this morning, and I was very thirsty, but there was no whiskey around.
And so, somebody called Imark 3000 or something like that - probably a cyborg from another dimension, pins this poem on my door and moves quietly away.
So I felt compelled to read this poem.
And it brought back to me that we also see the best; that we must slow down and see the best, and so it does not matter whether it was written by a schoolchild or not. It's a timeless message, from person to person to person.
Look at us here right now. We are still hooked on it.
Good work, folks, in getting that poem-message-love-letter out to millions of people.
The creators of beauty are the true revolutionaries.
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote