View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

OMG, waves honey !

I hope as Im typing this you are feeling better...

I found this:

Causes of Shortness of Breath
Many conditions and diseases cause shortness of breath. These are the most common:

•anaphylaxis
•asthma
•chest injuries
•carbon monoxide poisoning
•chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
•collapsed lung (pneumothorax)
•congestive heart failure
•heart attack
•hyperventilation syndrome
•pneumonia
•pulmonary embolism

I went to check about "hyperventilation syndrome":

Hyperventilation syndrome (HVS; also chronic hyperventilation syndrome or CHVS) is a respiratory disorder, psychologically or physiologically based, involving breathing too deeply or too rapidly (hyperventilation). HVS may present with chest pain and a tingling sensation in the fingertips and around the mouth (paresthesia) and may accompany a panic attack.

People with HVS feel that they cannot get enough air. In reality, they have about the same oxygenation in the arterial blood (normal values are about 98% for hemoglobin saturation) and too little carbon dioxide in their blood and other tissues. While oxygen is abundant in the bloodstream, HVS reduces effective delivery of that oxygen to vital organs due to low-CO2-induced vasoconstriction and the suppressed Bohr effect.

The hyperventilation is self-promulgating as rapid breathing causes carbon dioxide levels to fall below healthy levels, and respiratory alkalosis (high blood pH) develops. This makes the symptoms worse, which causes the person to try breathing even faster, which further exacerbates the problem.

The respiratory alkalosis leads to changes in the way the nervous system fires and leads to the paresthesia, dizziness, and perceptual changes that often accompany this condition. Other mechanisms may also be at work, and some people are physiologically more susceptible to this phenomenon than others.

Most cases are caused by anxiety or stress. However, medical conditions such as infection, blood loss, heart attack, hypocapnia or alkalosis due to chemical imbalances, decreased cerebral blood flow, and increased nerve sensitivity may also underlie this symptom.

In one study, one third of patients with HVS had "subtle but definite lung disease" that prompted them to breathe too frequently or too deeply.

Many people with panic disorder or agorophobia will experience HVS. However, most people with HVS do not have these disorders.

Do you think this could fit ???

Considering you have been having cough, I would tend to think it could be more lungs related than heart realted... But that just me !! shez, why I didnt listen to my father when they told me to become a doctor ?

Let us know how are you !!