View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I had a good outcome and would do it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonGrandma View Post
Hi all. I'm 53 and have been in very good health all my life--except for last 2 yrs....now I feel like I'm falling apart...first menopause hit, and passed, and then depression. Got on Cymbalta and Xanax. Started having sharp neck pains last fall and thought they were the "brain zaps" associated with Xanax. Then my right hand starting going numb. Went to primary care Doc who sent me for xrays and referred me to a neuro, who sent me for MRI and then referred me to surgeon...Need 3 fusions and he's saying a metal plate put in---???---Reading all your comments, now I'm really scared! Would taking calcium or glucosamin help? Excercising? Physical Therapy? I hear I will have to stay "still" for at least 6-8 wks to let spine fuse...Doesn't anyone have a good outcome/ success story??? It makes sense to me that most people that come on to post are because they have bad outcomes and need to vent---so those of us that maybe have good results need to make sure to come back on and post too.... Am I kidding myself? I consider myself a "young" grandma and have a very active 3 yr old grandson! HELP!
TucsonGrandma, HI I just wanted to let you know that on boards like these you do hear a lot of horror stories that would scare anyone. But this past Dec (2009) I had a 4 level cervical fusion from C3-C7 but my surgeon did not use the usual ways the fusion surgeries ar done and that is why I believe I have had such a different experience from most people I hear about. Google "PEEK PREVAIL" I had 4 of those put in my neck instead of the usual bone grafts or cages and plates. I do still have some pain but I am also only 7 months post-op. I didn't have to stay still for 6-8 weeks or anythign crazy like that. I wore a soft collar for 5 weeks and wasn't allowed in a car (for fear that one accident could be really bad) but that was about it. I wore a Bone Growth Stimulator for 4 hours a day for 6 months (which wasn't near as bad as it sounds) and I feel a lot betterthan I did pre-op. It will never be like God made it but it will do for now and I would recommend it if you had the right surgeon using the right equipment. By the way I am only 42 and still have grandkids to raise too one day, I hope. Good Luck and let me know what you do.
Jennychele
jennychele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (02-06-2013)