View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Paula,
Yes, it is unfortunately true that in some cases, as PD progresses, so do dental problems. Perhaps some lifestyle changes at the onset or in the early stages, could delay or prevent some of these dental problems from occuring?

It is unfortunate that the <traditional/conventional> medical field typically does not delve into a person's dental history, unless the patiet happens to mention it. It is also similar with dentistry in that dentists are not knowledgable in the process of disease like physicians and bascially they are just tooth carpenters. All of which makes it difficult for the patient to get adequate information or instructions on issues like preventive care especially when someone has a progressive disorder. That's why it's good to have websites like this one!

I have had patients with PD who do not have tooth problems! The common link that I noticed with these people was that they do not have many (if any) mercury fillings in their teeth and they have no teeth that are root canaled. I would love to read the studies, if there are any, on the relation between mercury fillings and/or root canals and the incidence of PD.

You asked if dentures were a better option? There is nothing like having your own teeth. But it is imperative that we way the pros and cons of keeping unhealthy teeth for the sake of ....... keeping them! Dentures are generally well tolerated in people who already had some missing teeth and wore partial dentures that replaced those teeth. People who never wore partials, usually have a more difficult time intially getting use to them. Lower dentures are not as secure as upper ones because there is nothing to stabilize them. The palate acts as a suction cup for the upper denture, so it is more stable.

Chewing, speaking, and drinking with dentures is different than with our own teeth because there is always some movement with the dentures themselves. But through persaverance it can be mastered. Choking on food can be an issue if one eats too quickly or takes too big a bite. Gagging on the back of the upper denture is common until the person learns how to relax their facial muscles. People who have an adequate arch in their palate generally don't need an upper denture to go back as far as someone who has less arch in their palate.

I know... alot of information. Tell me if I'm putting too much out there ~'.'~

Bryanna
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote