View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs Up having one Carotid Artery

I to have only one carotid artery. My left carotids were severly damaged while in surgery for a bone fusion in the Cervical area. i was told that the drill slipped, caught the carotid and mangled it. This happened 30 years ago. My last MRA showed the right carotid had expanded to carry the blood flow. The basal artery in the back of the head, had also grown to accomadate the blood flow. The Circle of Willis was also fine. i am so blessed to be alive. I have Horners Syndrome on the left eye, as part due to the lost of the Carotid on that side. From what I have been told when this happened to me I was only 1 of 2 people that survived aaccident like this.

The doctors like in the ER look at me like I am crazy, when tell them I don't have an artery on that side. When they go to listen, they have a priceless look on their faces. Another thing that I have is PTSD, I play that in my head over and over again. The trauma is what I went through after the operation. God has been good to me. I should have been dead. I am writing a book about that ordeal.
Ohio Girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote