View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy46254 View Post
Greetings fellow space travellers,

I have been dealing with severe pain for a over a decade now. Been on every anti-depressant and seizure medicine possible. I have recently went outside of my healthcare system and saw a neurosurgeon on my own. The short of it is that I am being diagnosed with geniculate neuralgia.

My neurosurgeon has tried to talk me out of the surgery to fix the problem though. He says that there is a significant risk of having permanent vertigo so severe that I may not be able to walk. Has anyone heard of this? I have been trying to do research online and haven't found any mention of this risk.

He said that he usually only does this surgery when people are ready to commit suicide. Just because I chose to walk into his office instead of jump off his roof doesn't seem like a proper exclussionary criteria for surgery. He is the only one around me for hundreds of miles that even does the surgery.

Any advice?????????
I am 6 days post op for GN.I had to have two MVD in two days as the first op left me in severe agony.I have 100% hearing loss on left side I have facial weakness onleft side,I also have severe double vision and am unable to walk unaided.All this and the surgery did not cure the ear pain. I have been told that apart from the hearing which is permanent all other side affects should get better within 6 months but I have to tell you I am so scared that I will be like this forever.I cannot even get up to go to the toilet in the night alone as the risk of falling is so high.
I did so much research and looked into all the risks and weighed them up and thought the chances were so low it would never happento me but I was unlucky enough to get more than one of the very low risk side affects.
Apparently my nerves were all squashed on top of each other so making it impossible not to touch or damage them.
Time will tell if it does improve butI feel very lonely and scared so if anyone else has any reassuring stories I really need to hear them right now x
todd74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote