View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 06:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I just joined this group so I could respond to this thread, although my issue is depression, not brain injury, etc. However, I want to share my experience w/ NeuroScience and their products.

After testing through NeuroScience my clinical nutritionist put me on Travacor and Kavinace. At the time I was on Cymbalta and Wellbutrin as treatment for depression. I went to this nutritionist for two reason. First, I didn't want to be on meds for the rest of my life if there was another option. And second, even being on two meds, having tried others, and being in therapy for eight years I was still battling depression.

About three days after starting on Travacor I started to feel better. By the end of a week I felt better than I had felt in years, maybe ever. This was last December. I went through the winter feeling great and in the spring started to wean off of Cymbalta. I had no problem doing so, in spite of the fact that my psychiatrist warned me that many people have a tough time getting off Cymbalta. I recently began to wean off of Wellbutrin as well and was beginning to feel the effects of being almost off of it. I talked w/ my nutritionist and he put me on another NeuroScience Product, ExcitaPlus, which addresses dopamine and norepinephrine. After a couple of days on it the cloud began to lift today.

You can say what you want about NeuroScience, but I am a firm believer. I know many will say it could be the placebo effect, but I know differently. I've struggled most of my life w/ depression and finally feel I have an answer. My biggest struggle now is the resentment that I have towards the insurance companies that will pay for drugs, but not for treatment that enables my body to make enough neurotransmitters itself. I am lucky enough to be able to afford the treatment b/c my husband makes a good salary. Others are not so fortunate. However, if I had to I'd get a job (I'm a stay-at-home mom) in order to pay for these supplements. That's how strongly I believe in them and how good I have been feeling since taking them.

As far as not being able to measure how much neurotransmitters are in the brain by measuring what's in the urine.......makes sense to me that if my body can make them in my gut it can in my brain, and if it can't make enough in my gut it can't make them in my brain. The testing showed I was low on serotonin in spite of the Cymbalta. I retested after several months on Travacor (and feeling better) and my serotonin was WAY up, not dangerously so, but way up. That must be why I could drop the Cymbalta w/ no problems.

My dopamine and norepinephrine was optimal when I tested b/c the Wellbutrin was working well. We assumed when I started struggling as I decreased the Wellbutrin that my body wasn't producing enough and added the ExcitaPlus. It's a little early, but it appears that is working as well. We will retest everything in a few months. I suspect we'll find all levels are optimal.

So, that's my story. I would recommend finding an excellent doctor or nutritionist to test and "prescribe" like I have. There are many out there who just want to make big bucks so that might be difficult. However, that doesn't mean that these products aren't a viable way to treat depression and probably other conditions.

Thanks!
karenh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Cheese18 (09-02-2012), Nonnie (04-06-2011)