View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Peter, When is the colonoscopy scheduled for? Is it urgent or can it wait for a few days?

You could try Mestinon syrup to see if that helps. Your doc could write a script for a trial bottle of it.

It's hard to solve a problem without knowing what is causing it in the first place. Since it's possible that Mestinon is increasing the stomach acid for you, you could try an acid blocker (once) to see if that helps. I wouldn't do anything without consulting with your primary doctor and/or your neuro though.

Stomach acid is "made" from acetylcholine, histamine and gastrin.

Are there any other circumstances under which your stomach gets upset? Or is it only the Mestinon that does it?

No offense, Wondergirl, but muscle relaxants would definitely not be a good idea in MG since they weaken the muscles. Tylenol might help but not if it's something other than a pain issue alone.

What is usually given during a colonoscopy are Propofol and either Versed or Fentanyl. I personally did fine on the drugs. I had my colonoscopy about a month and a half after my MG crisis and was not doing so well and was okay after it. Though everyone reacts differently with drugs. I was very worn out afterwards and slept for a while.

You can tell them that, if they have to intubate you, pediatric gas is a good alternative to muscle relaxers. It wears off quickly and doesn't seem to as adversely effect MG. Are you having this done in a hospital setting or a clinic?

Asking your pharmacist is a good idea, though any orders for an additional drug will have to go through your doctors anyway.

I hope it goes well and that they don't find anything wrong.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote