Thread: Topamax
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 08:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
I've been taking topamax for about 2 years due to severe and frequent migraines. It has helped quite a bit, hasn't stopped them, but they are limited to three a month, and generally not as severe.

Problem? They just released generic topamax (topamirlate). Not only does the generic NOT work, it was giving me migraines. For the five days I took the generic I had a migraine every day. I stopped taking it, and my headaches are back to where they were before I even started topamax.

Anyone else taking topamax notice an increase in headaches when you got switched to the generic when you refilled your rx?
Catch......I understand where u r coming from.........not with Topamax, but I had the issue with generic prozac when it came out on the market. There is a line at the bottom of the prescription slip that says "brand medically necessary" if your doctor signs that your pharmacist needs to fill it that way..........HOWEVER u and your doc will have to jump thru hoops with your insurance company to get it authorized! But hopefully your doctor knows that u HAVE to have the brand name and will be willing to fight the insurance company 4 you! Good luck!
kaysus1973 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote